Here is one simple, but special dress.. The fabric was a gift from Mokosha.. It was sitting in her stash for a long time, and she didn’t know what to do with it.. The fabric was too dark for her taste and she thought that I might like it.. Lucky me :) I loved the fabric at first glance.. It’s hard to see at only one look all the elements someone doodled for this design.. There are dark hair girl and her eyelashes, a tree, butterflies, roses, stripes, faces, hands.. True example of horror vacui on the fabric.. Only problem was length of the fabric – only 1 m!! The fabric is some kind of viscose.. I wanted to make a dress for autumn.. Pattern #133 from Burda 12/2012 proved to be the best choice for busy prints.. It was my fourth time that I’ve used it (1, 2, 3).. One half of 1 m fabric I saved for the skirt, and from the other half I made the bodice and the sleeves.. There was not enough fabric for long sleeves, but I didn’t want to leave them as ½ sleeves.. I added pieces of about 15 cm to the sleeves so now they are covering my elbows.. Thanks to busy print, that seam is barely visible.. The skirt is just a gathered rectangle..
Friday, October 17, 2014
I’m aware that it’s October, and everyone is making warmer clothes, but I’m still in summer mode.. It’s very hot here for this time of year, at least 20°C every day.. I decided to make one more summer dress for which I have made a muslin over a year ago.. Very cute button-down dress with open back, straps and full skirt.. Meanwhile, I have changed many ideas for fabrics that would look good with this dress, and in the end settled with this yellow-blue plaid cotton..
The pattern is #122 from Burda 05/2001.. This Burda issue is from those years when we didn’t have translated instructions in Serbian.. Everything was in German.. All those older issues always remind me of my beginnings in sewing when I used instructions only to see which pattern pieces I have to trace.. After that I would figure out on my own how to put them together.. I kept that habit, but from time to time I try to read instructions to see if there is something interesting (it’s always boring)..
Monday, October 6, 2014
When I first saw the pattern for a dress #112 from Burda06/2014 I knew that I want to make it from lovely black rayon with bird print which I used for this skirt.. The silhouette has some strange ‘90s feel.. It reminds me of dresses my mom had at that time.. Reason more to make one for myself..
After taking a better look at the pattern pieces of the dress, I was afraid to cut that beautiful fabric.. All bodice pieces are cut on bias – neckline and sleeves.. My first thought was that my choice of drapey fabric will easily stretch out while sewing all those seams.. I had to change my plan and sacrifice another fabric.. Couple years ago I was happiest girl ever, when I bought one and only piece of rayon with polka dots and bobby pins.. I was keeping it for something special.. In the meanwhile, that fabric reappeared in stores, and now every seamstress in Belgrade with love for cute prints has it.. Since the fabric can still be found in the stores, decision was made – if I ruin the bobby pins fabric, I’ll go and buy more of it!!