Thursday, March 24, 2016

Direct Lines




This dress is one more of my little experiments.. For a while I wanted to make dress bodice with tiny pintucks.. After sewing all those tucks back in September, pintucks were logical next step.. Also, for much longer time I wanted to make a dress with a side buttondown.. Last week I had the idea for a great combination of these two details.. All I needed was a basic bodice pattern with darts only at the waist.. 




For bodice I picked pattern #133 from Burda 08/2012 which I used a couple times before (here and here).. I knew that the fit is good and I like those cute cap sleeves.. My idea was to sew vertical pintucks for the front bodice piece, which would create nice effect when there are only waist darts.. I had to do an adjustment to the bodice pattern, I moved bust darts to the waist.. Also on left side I added space for buttons and buttonholes.. I didn’t want to complicate things more so I made a simple gathered skirt.. I used lightweight cotton with which I planned to make a shirt dress.. It was a good fabric choice for sewing all those tiny pintucks.. I love how this experiment turned out.. I made it in a size larger than I wear.. It was only a test, and I would love to make the same one in some other color.. 

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Take Me Away




I’ve been delaying showing this dress for more than two months.. It’s my make for October as part of Burda Challenge 2015.. I was waiting to photograph September's make, but that’s still on waiting list.. Now, when spring officially started, I present you photos of my dress taken at the beginning of January, when we had one and only good snow this year (at least that I’ve seen)..



I wanted to make this dress last year.. I even bought fabric at that time, but the project waited for another winter.. Pattern for this dress is #101 from Burda 10/2014.. I liked it very much at first glance.. One of those rare patterns where I didn't want to make any changes.. It has a lot of pieces to put together, which looked fun.. Also, it’s a good way for combining two (or more) fabrics.. I had a lot of luck with finding the fabrics.. I found these two wool fabrics in one store.. Both are made from same color combination of threads – black and mauve, but with different type of weaving one is darker.. It's hard to see that difference on snowy photos.. You can see it better on last two photos, that's how the fabrics look in real life.. 

Friday, March 18, 2016

Genesis


♫ ♪ Grimes - Genesis



A few months back, my friend made some long shirts from this colorful fabric.. All bright colors in one place! I fell in love with this print and went straight to the fabric store to look for it.. Sadly, it was no longer available and another idea went through my mind.. I asked my friend if she has leftover fabric, just a scrap, so I could make a crop top with it.. She saved me one scrap, and it was the perfect one, with horseman at the center (thanks greška!!).. At first I was afraid to cut the fabric.. There was no room for a mistake.. That happens to me very often when I'm dealing with fabrics that I like very much.. I have to think about all steps thoroughly before I start cutting the fabric.. My first idea was to make a Tate top.. I changed my mind when I saw pattern for asymmetric crop top #103 from Burda 03/2016.. I had enough colorful fabric to cut the front piece.. For back I used some leftover black rayon I had in my stash.. I like how rayon drapes at the back.. Sleeves I left out because I think it looks better without them, than with short black ones..  



Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Die Life




There’s not much to say about this outfit.. Both blouse and shorts I made a couple times before.. I decided to write a post about it because really like how these two look together.. For blouse I used pattern #135 from Burda 02/2013.. You can read more about it here.. This time I used lovely rayon fabric, which I also used for this dress.. I’m in love with color of the fabric.. It truly brightens up rainy days.. After making the dress, I bought more fabric so I could make a blouse with it.. Now I’m left with a few scraps and I hope I’ll think of a good way to use them..



For shorts I used pattern #111 from Burda 10/2010.. You can see my previous versions here and here.. I loved this black on white print very  much, but at the moment when I found it in the store my budget for fabric shopping was low.. That's why I bought only 0.5 m of fabric knowing that it was enough for making these shorts.. The fabric is cotton with a bit of stretch.. This time, my only change to the pattern was placing an invisible zipper to the side.. It’s easier that way to finish sewing shorts.. Only thing time consuming was hand stitching the hemline.. That way there’s not visible topstitching on the right side of these shorts..