Monday, March 27, 2017

Baš volim što ti je lepo




It’s been a while since I made a cute dress.. And a very longer time since I tried a new way of manipulating the fabric.. Like sewing all the pintucks, lace insertions and scallops wasn’t enough, I felt the need to bring something different into my sewing routine.. Pleated trims were on my mind for quite a while, just never got around to try making them (the easier way).. My first (recent) project was this blouse I posted on Instagram.. Nothing special for a first try.. I needed something simple until my horror vacui mood kicks in.. To be honest, I had success with making pleated trims in my early days of sewing.. Only problem was the time it took me to make those – several episodes of Midsomer murders (one episode lasts about hour and a half!!!).. During my new recent experiment I was sure there must be a faster way to make these little thingies.. I even remembered that Andy from 8th season of Project Runway had a pleating tool which helped him to make those gorgeous pleated trims for the final collection.. So if Endy could make pleated trims without wasting too much time, so can I!! With that on my mind, I found the tutorial on how to make a pleating tool.. It was the first tutorial that popped on Google.. I took a quick look, and used a thicker paper I had at hand for making that little helper.. I’m very pleased with how much time it saves, and how easy it is too use.. Of course, my tool is small dimensions, for making ¼ inch pleated trims.. 




Now a little about the dress.. Adding something interesting into princess seams of bodice I tried couple years back, and you can see my dress with scallops here.. For that one I used a Burda pattern.. This time I wanted to try redrafting a basic bodice sloper to what I had on my mind and see if the fit would be wearable.. My redraft is not very different from the Burda pattern I already used, but I still needed a confirmation that one can easily play with simple shapes to get something different.. To get what I wanted from bodice sloper I opened the neckline, redrafted waist darts into princes seams, and made ¾ sleeves.. Nothing complicated.. The skirt is simple pleated one.. 

Friday, March 24, 2017

Psycho Killer




This is a very special project for me.. It’s part of Sewing Around The World organized by Schnittschen, an independent sewing label.. If you’re not familiar with them, go and check it.. Every month they present one of the sewing bloggers who chooses one of their patterns to sew.. When Nadja approached me I was so happy to be part of their project, along with other great sewists.. When it was time for me to pick a pattern, I thought an outerwear could be nice challenge for me.. I rarely sew jackets and coats.. These items take more time to complete, so I always delay starting them..  I also got to choose a fabric, and I have to admit, this was my first time doing it online.. I wasn’t sure which pattern to pick, until I stumbled upon this gorgeous raincoat fabric at Lillestoff.. I was blown away with this cute and cheering raindrops print.. And the fabric is water-resistant!! Perfect for a raincoat.. The idea was there – I’ll use their new pattern Amy parka to make a raincoat.. I’m glad Silke and Nadja liked this idea, and made possible for me to finally make a raincoat.. In this post I’ll write about my first make using Schnittchen patterns and my experience with sewing raincoat fabric from Lillestoff..



Since this was my first time to sew Schnittchen pattern, I wanted to make a test version to go through all steps and see if there is a need for the adjustments.. With raincoat fabric there’s no unpicking, which means no room for a mistake.. Amy parka is a pattern for an oversize coat, with hood and huge deep pockets.. It comes in two different lengths, and it has lining.. Sewing my test version went without problems.. Although I don’t like when seam allowance is included in a pattern, here it’s only 1 cm so it didn't make me problems.. Instructions are very clear.. This was one of those rare times I actually read it.. Looking at my finished test version, there was only one minor adjustment I had to make to the coat – shorter sleeves.. This pattern has dropped shoulders, and the sleeves were too long for my arms.. I had to make them shorter for 3-4 cm.. 



Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Opasne Igre




If my Ig isn’t wrong, I made this dress 9 weeks ago! I wanted to blog about it back then, but there was always some reason to postpone photographing it.. Very cold weather, short daylight, holidays, travel, sciatica, and three months are gone.. 


First, I want to say the biggest thanks to Ebony for making a tutorial on how to draft your own pattern for tent dress from a simple top pattern.. Maybe there is some simpler solution for redrafting, but I wasn’t lazy, and this one worked for me.. This is my second version of the same redrafted pattern.. You can see my first version here, and read more about the sewing process.. The first version of the dress, which I made two years ago, I often wear, it’s very comfortable, goes great with tights or leggings, has that unusual casual look.. Just perfect.. That’s why it was time to make a second version.. For the second version I used wool fabric I bought at the flea market.. The price was next to nothing for 2m of this plaid wool fabric.. Man who sold me the fabric said that it would be great for tablecloth!! He probably spends lots of time in local pubs, where checked tablecloths are a must.. The mark on the fabric says that it’s locally produced – Exportext Lebane.. That factory was closed at some point (as most of great textile factories in Serbia), so I might not be wrong if I say that this fabric is vintage..